Join Plus One Robotics as a Director of Engineering to get in on the ground floor of a tenacious startup company that is developing web-connected robotic solutions for logistics and e-commerce applications! As the Director of Engineering, you will recognize the excitement and ambiguity of a transforming company going through high growth, new technology and new processes. You will develop strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and collaborate with product management and the sales organization to follow customer guidance, market trends and business intelligence in development efforts. You will directly manage multiple product teams and supporting teams, including QA and developer operations.
Your charter will be focused on the research, production, and scaling of the technology on solutions for material handling. The current activities are focused across a number of technology areas including robotics software, cloud architecture, web applications, AI, QA, Dev/Prod Ops, and interfacing with customers. You will be leading a team of engineers located in Boulder and San Antonio and will report directly to the CTO.
You will work with technical leads to deliver a well-architected and robust product to customers. You will be responsible for customer satisfaction, fast-development cycles and a fantastic corporate culture. As the Director of Engineering, you will deliver results quickly under time and budget constraints as expected from a startup.
- Build, lead, and direct a lean, effective and premier organization of developers and cultivate a culture of innovation & delivery
- Provide thought leadership, career development guidance and mentorship to team members through one-on-ones, annual reviews, group decision making, and conflict resolution
- Ability to delegate in order to get things done
- Work reciprocally and effectively with global customers on partnership projects
- Ability to handle a dynamic workspace with changing requirements and effectively communicate them to the team.
- Translate product management goals and specifications into technical plan of action
- Research, develop, and deploy (at scale) new-to-world software and hardware systems
- Translation of strategy into actionable programs, communicate priorities and lead the team to ensure execution of agreed actions
- Work closely with cross-team partners on strategy and vision, as well as provide guidance and clear identification for the content and prioritization of the feature backlog for your team
Development Processes and Operations
- Create new and adapt existing business processes to improve product quality and scale
- Provide and evaluate others’ time estimates for complex short (days) and medium (weeks) duration tasks
Willing to get hands dirty, this is a startup after all!
We are seeking:
- 3+ years experience in managing and directly supervising engineers
- 3+ years experience in any of the following computer vision, robotics, industrial automation or web development
- 7+ years experience in engineering or software development.
- Track record of deploying systems in highly reliable production environments.
- Familiarity with Agile development practices
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English.
- Comfortable managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must have a valid drivers’ license.
Nice to Haves:
- 5+ years experience in managing and directly supervising engineers with title
- 5+ years experience in computer vision, robotics, industrial automation AND web development
20% travel expected, some on short notice
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to change the world by bringing people and robots together
- Competitive salary with 100% paid for benefits, and equity opportunity
- 8-week 100% paid maternity leave
- 4-week 100% paid paternity leave
- Paid gym membership
- Work alongside a world-class team (founders of ROS-Industrial OSS)
- Creative, dynamic, energetic work environment
- Opportunity to indulge your passion for robots
- And last but not least, Taco Mondays!
Please include your resumé and cover letter when applying.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity! All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Full time, 40 hours/week between M-F, 9:00am-6:00pm.